A property tax exemption is available for disabled veterans. Public Act 161, which went into effect November 12, 2013, applies to a homestead property of a disabled veteran who was discharged from the United States armed forces under honorable conditions.

MCL 211.7b: Disabled Veterans Exemption Frequently Asked Questions

Check if you're eligible

To qualify for the Disabled Veterans exemption, you need to be:

  • A Michigan resident
  • Living in the home you own (commonly referred to as your homestead)
  • Disabled as a result of your service from which you were honorably discharged (100% disabled), or the surviving spouse of the disabled Veteran, and you have not remarried

Want to review the law that was written for this exemption? Read it here.

Step 2.Gather your documentation

You'll need to file for this exemption every year. You can file for the upcoming tax year starting January 1st, and up until the Board of Review concludes in December. It's a good idea to pick a month before December and make a reminder for yourself to file every year.

You'll need to send a completed affidavit and one of the following documents:

  • Letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs stating you are 100% disabled
  • Letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs saying you are receiving or have received payment assistance for specially adapted housing
  • Letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs saying you are individually unemployable

Are you the legal designee of the Disabled Veteran or surviving spouse? You'll need to provide proof that you can file for them.

Step 3.Complete the Michigan Affidavit 5107

The form you use to apply for this exemption is a State of Michigan form called the State Tax Commission Affidavit for Disabled Veterans Exemption. 

You can fill out the form on your computer, but you'll need to print it and sign it before turning in the original to the City Assessor's Office. Don't have a printer? You can pick up the form at our office, we're located at the address listed in the Contact Us section of this page.

Mail your documents to our office

If you're ready to submit, mail or drop off your affidavit and supporting documentation to the Assessors office at 100 E State St. Suite 1100 PO Box 477 St. Johns, MI 48879

Step 5.We'll review your application

We'll send your application on to the Board of Review. Notice of approval or denial will be sent after the Board of Review meeting is closed.